Ed note: You spend 5 hours in the car and look what happens...I am bumping this up and also editing the post down to a quick quote and link to the EV Trib...-P Stan
I just found this out through our brethren on phxsuns.net. i have to say that I am happy about this signing. About time we land a decent free agent!
here's the news
Suns sign free agent Matt Barnes
Jerry Brown, Tribune
The sixth-year NBA veteran signed for the league’s veteran minimum contract ($1.2 million, about $400,000 of which is paid by league funds) and will immediately step into the rotation as either a starter or bench player on the wing. He will be in Phoenix to take his physical on Monday morning and is expected to finalize his deal afterward.
and here's how you can identify him which is still subtle compared to this....
INTERNET WARNING - THIS MAY NOT ACTUALLY BE MATT BARNES' TATTOOS. Judge at your own risk.
[Note by Phoenix Stan, 07/20/08 11:07 PM PDT ]
I've had all of 30 minutes to think about this but on the surface here's what I think it means:
- No Gordan Giricek - that's an easy call
- At the league minimum this signing is a real bargain - no question
- The question that Barnes does raise is his impact on the rotation. Do he and Hill share primary duties at the 3 and if so does that mean Diaw is going to backup Amare as a 4? Or perhaps this makes Diaw just a little more expendable now.
- I still don't see the Suns starting the year with both Diaw and Barbosa on the roster.
- After watching Tucker look pretty darn good at the 2 and given his rookie salary my bet is still on Barbosa being moved to reduce the overall salary and clear room for a backup point guard.
- Anyone know Kyle Lowry's agent or have the number for the Grizzlies GM?