Based on reports from Sports 620 KTAR, the Suns are trying to get a third team involved in a trade for Amare Stoudemire. We've heard for awhile the that Suns want Andre Iguodala. Today we learned that the Suns are also interested in Luol Deng from the Chicago Bulls or possibly Kirk Hinrich.
The deal would work like this:
Suns would send Amare to Cleveland and J.J. Hickson would come to the Suns. Zydrunas Ilgauskas with his expiring $11.5m contract that has 75% of his salary already paid would be moved to that 3rd team with that player coming back to Phoenix.
The 76ers have made it pretty clear that they are not interested in taking back an expiring deal in return for Andre so that seems like a long shot to me.
The Bulls however, are very interested in getting further under the salary cap and so a deal like this would be of more value to them. All reports are they would love to dump Kirk Hinrich who's owed $9m next year and $8m in 2011/12 and would probably do this in a heart beat.
I like Kirk a lot but I don't see how he fits on the Suns team. He's a great defensive PG and would be a solid backup for Nash but for that salary why would the Suns want to add him to back court bench that already includes Barbosa and Dragic?
Luol Deng is a more interesting option despite the $51m he's owed over the next four years. He's an aggressive wing player who can both defend and put up points. At 6'9" he can also play the PF at times. 18 points and 7.4 rebounds from a guy that can shoot the three and shore up the SF for years to come...not bad.
|2009 - Luol Deng||52||37.9||7.1||15.1||47.1||0.4||1.1||41.1||3.4||4.4||77.4||2.1||5.3||7.4||2.1||1.9||1.0||1.0||1.8||18.1|
The Bulls however, are going to want more than just Big Z's expiring.
Perhaps the Suns make this deal with the Heat that sends Amare to Miami, Beasley and an expiring to the Bulls and the Heat's 1st round pick to Phoenix and the Raptors 1st round pick to the Bulls.
- Chicago replaces Deng with Beasley and saves about $6.8m going into the summer and leaves them with about $18m under the cap. They unload a long term contract which gives the more room for Rose and Noah when it's time to pay them and they also get to see how Beasley works out and still have cap room to go after Bosh or another free agent.
- Miami gets Amare to help try and keep Wade and they give up Beasley, expirings and two 1st round picks.
- Suns get Deng and a 1st round pick maybe some filler to make up about $1.5m.
This looks better for the Bulls but worse for the Suns than a Cleveland deal where:
- Cleveland gets Amare
- Suns get Hickson and Deng
- Bulls get Big Z and...Dudley? Clark? It would take something else to get the Bulls to give up Deng
Bottom line, the Suns are trying to find a way to get more than just Hickson and the Cavs draft pick and this will likely go down to the wire. Stay tuned!