As we embark on yet another Sunless NBA playoffs, a lot of folks on the site have shared that they’ll be rooting for this or that ex-Sun advancing toward glory.
But I had not yet seen a comprehensive list of our former favorites (and not-so favorites) who are moving on with other teams in the 2012 race for a ring.
In an effort to rectify this, I have put together the following list of former Suns who are still in it to win it.
Ten of the 16 teams have at least one former Sun now in uniform. In fact, you could build an entire NBA roster -- and not a bad one -- just out of ex-Suns in the playoff hunt. I also included head coaches with strong Suns ties.
If I missed anybody, please correct me in the comments below as I’m working largely from memory here.
Feel free to share who you’re rooting for and why.
Despite their Game 1 drubbing at the hands of Miami and the loss of Iman Shumpert, I’m still pulling for our old friend Amare to make some noise in the playoffs.
To me, he’s still the big goofy kid we watched grow up, even though he now wears a different shade of orange. And out of all the players on the list, I think he’s the most critical to his team’s performance.
We’ll start with the East, which kind of ironically has a larger number of ex-Suns in competition.
1) Chicago – No known Suns presence
2) Miami – James Jones
4) Boston -- Mickael Pietrus
5) Atlanta – Joe Johnson
7) New York -- Amare Stoudemire
8) Philadelphia – No known Suns presence
1) San Antonio – Boris Diaw
2) Oklahoma City – Kevin Durant (Just seeing if you’re paying attention, actually no known Suns presence)
4) Memphis – Lionel Hollins (head coach, gets an honorable mention as ex-Sun because he was an assistant coach for us)
6) Denver Nuggets – No known Suns presence