I know this is probably way, way too early to be thinking about fantasy basketball. However, there's not much else to be doing right now except coming up with Christmas puns and wondering why we need so many point guards. Also, Yahoo just opened Fantasy Basketball for the season.
So, I've gone ahead and made a league. I always play in 12 team leagues but for a long while now I've wanted to do something a bit crazy and try for a 30 team league. No better place to try and do that than here on BSotS. The idea was we'd all have 12 man rosters so basically every NBA player would get drafted. Unfortunately Yahoo has a limit of 20 teams, so my dreams of sitting through an 8 hour draft (or something like that) will have to wait.
That's not to say this won't be insanely fun. Here's what I've cooked up:
- 20 team league.
- 12 players per team (PG, SG, G, SF, PF, F, C, C, Util, Util, BN, BN - 82 games per position).
- Rotisserie scoring (13 categories: FG%, FTM, FT%, 3PM, 3P%, PTS, OREB, DREB, REB, AST, STL, BLK, TO).
- Live standard draft (date/time TBC. This includes the ability to trade picks and/or players DURING the draft).
- Standard waiver rules with continual rolling list.
- Randomised draft order, to be determined once we have finalised the teams list. Then we can see who has earned the right to the top pick and the chance to draft
LeBron Jamesor Archie Goodwin.
You can check out the rest of the rules, settings and specifics on the league page once you've joined. I'm open to changing certain things if there's popular demand for something, but ultimately that's how I'd rather have it. And as I'm commissioner...
Originally I was going to ask that we all took NBA team names but I figure it will be more fun if we just name our teams whatever the hell we want to name them. Suns themed team names would be awesome though.
So if you want to sign up, please do. All welcome, but once we have 20 that's it. Please only join if you're committed to playing and being active with your team, we all know how annoying abandoned teams are in fantasy leagues. Likewise it'd be ideal if you were able to live draft rather than autopick. Draft day and time is to be determined but we won't draft until just before the season tips off. For now I've pencilled in October 26th. It'll be tailored to Arizona time since I guess that's what will suit the majority.
Oh and by my calculations, with 90 seconds per pick, this draft could take as long as 6 hours. I can't wait.