Robin Lopez has not only under performed his twin in New Jersey, he's also not meeting his coach's expectations for a bench player.
After the Suns second day of practicing for over an hour-and-a-half, Terry Porter called Lopez out for not being ready to play ..
"He doesn't seem to have the focus. Missing balls. Missing assignments on the defensive end. Missing box outs. He doesn't have the focus when he steps on the floor."
Robin, for his part agrees saying that despite the rotations seeming erratic that he has to be mentally prepared whenever his name is called.
Perhaps Robin would do well to spend some time in Iowa and the Suns could sign Courtney Sims to a 10 day contract and give him a shot. I believe in Robin but he needs to get his head on straight and some time with the Energy might help. I would also LOVE to see what kind of rebounding numbers Robin put up in the D league getting starters minutes. I am still not sure if he's got fundemental issues or if he's just not getting the time he needs. A few games in the D's should tell us.
Other notes from today's practice as provided by Sports 620 KTAR:
- Leandro Barbosa missed practice (personal reasons).
- Louis Amundson missed the last half of practice after taking a Robin Lopez elbow just below the chin. He had to have stitches.
- Speaking of Lopez...he has played in 24 of the Suns 31 games thus far---though in the last four games he has only seen the court for a total of 18 minutes, including a DNP vs. the Clippers
- Lopez---who regularly spends extra time after practice with assistant Bill Cartwright---said he's "trying to stay ready" but admitted it has been tough when he doesn't know when his number will be called.
- Porter added that many of Lopez's minutes have gone to Amundson as of late.
- Kerr---who will undergo left knee surgery Tuesday (no joke)---said he is "not worried about either guy" making reference to the other Suns rookie, Goran Dragic. He also said he knows how hard it is for a rookie on a good team.
- The Suns, according to Kerr, have "settled down". The Suns are 6-and-2 since the Richardson trade....8-and-3 over their last 11 games; and actually began Monday 5th in the Western Conference: two games back of the three-seed, a-game-and-a-half up (3 games up in the loss column) on the 9-seed Utah Jazz.
- Kerr said he checks the standings "twice a day". Porter said he doesn't pay attention until after the all-star break.
- Kerr also said he is "very comfortable with the makeup of the team". Teams today can begin signing players to 10-day contracts. Kerr though said he has been pleased with the play---limited it has been---of Dee Brown.
More News on Jason Richardson's DUI
The Suns have released the following statement:
"We are aware of a situation with Jason. As with all allegations of a legal nature, it is not appropriate for us to comment further at this time."
-Steve Kerr, President and GM
According to the Maricopa County Superior Court website....the civil court case information and case history link....
Richardson has a court appearance on January 21st at West Mesa Justice Court in front of Judge Clayton Hamblen. The 21st is a day after his 28th birthday and the Suns are scheduled to play the New York Knicks that night; in fact, the Suns are out of town all that week.