Channing Frye was introduced to the Phoenix fans today with a late afternoon press conference. Here's some notes from Sports 620 KTAR's Craig Grialou:
- It took Channing Frye all of ten seconds to bring up the fact that he and Steve Kerr are UA alums
- Frye said he received interest from Cleveland, Denver and Washington but just felt the Suns were the right choice
- Several times he talked about being "home" and playing for his hometown team -- he said Elliot Perry was his favorite Suns player when he was growing up
- Frye had nothing bad to say about Portland which renounced his rights ... "time to move on"
- The press release lists Frye as 6-11, 245-pounds. He says he is 6-11, 252-pounds
- He will wear #8
- Kerr called the Frye signing an "important one." He said Frye was "number one on our list" because of his shooting ability and able to run the floor
- Kerr feels Frye helps with the pick-and-roll defense and can see Frye and Robin Lopez playing on the floor together
- Interesting comment from Kerr was that he sees Frye as a long-term Phoenix Suns player, not just the two-years that he is signed for
- Gentry said Frye was "made to play in (this) system," comparing him to how Tim Thomas was used while he was here. Gentry also called Frye a "tremendous compliment to Amare"
Kerr must have gone straight to the airport after the press conference because he arrived here in Vegas around 8:30pm. He and Sarver were seen meeting, along with David Griffin, in the stands of the Thomas and Mack Center while Blake Griffin put on a show during the Clippers / Hornets game.
Kerr told me that Earl Clark will play tomorrow and that Goran Dragic practiced today but will be a game time decision. He strained his groin after slipping in the first game.
Be sure to book mark Channing's blog which I am told is quite entertaining at times...
Audio clips from Frye's press conference