Well we've reached the last day of the season and the penultimate day for the playoff report and we FINALLY have slightly more clarity than we've gotten used to. Going into tonight's games this is what we know:
- The Lakers and Oklahoma City are locked into a 1/8 matchup
- Dallas needs either a win or a Utah loss to get the 2 seed.
- A Utah win gets them at least the 3, and if they also get a Dallas loss they have the 2 seed.
- If Phoenix wins they get the 3 seed and a date with the Blazers or Spurs. If they lose they get the 4 seed and a match-up with the Nuggets. Either way - WE'VE GOT HOME COURT ADVANTAGE IN THE 1ST ROUND. THIS IS HUGE. THIS IS WHY IT'S IN CAPITAL LETTERS AND BOLD.
- If Portland wins they get the 6 seed. If they lose then they only get the 6 seed if San Antonio loses.
- San Antonio needs a win and a Portland loss to get the 6 seed.
I assume you've got all that. Call me crazy but I'll take a win over Utah followed by a series with the suddenly Brandon Roy-less Blazers. Perhaps the greatest thing of all about that series is the fact that the Suns would be able to avoid the Lakers in the 2nd round. If you're pretending they don't scare you I'm going to call you a fool.
Tuesday April 13th Western Conference Results
Utah Jazz 103 Golden State Warriors 94 (Recap) -Pretty much what you could expect here. Utah was tied at half but basically cruised to the win. The really big story here is that Carlos Boozer left the game following the 1st quarter with a strained muscle in his rib cage. There is no word on his availability for tonight but we'll be sure to let you know as soon as possible. Worth noting that Deron Williams only played 29 minutes in the game.
Phoenix Suns 123 Denver Nuggets 101 (Recap) - For some reason this game made me think of this (yes I'm weird...but you knew that already). This was one of the Suns most impressive wins of the season - they led wire to wire and kicked ass in pretty much every aspect of the game. KABLOW!
Western Conference Standings
|1. LA Lakers||57||24||.704||-||4-6||WON 1|
|4. SUNS||53||28||.654||4||8-2||WON 2
|5. Denver||53||29||.646||4.5||6-4||LOST 1
|7. San Antonio
|8. Oklahoma City
Wednesday April 14th Western Conference Games of Significance
Spurs @ Mavericks - Dallas needs the game to take the 2 seed and San Antonio needs the game to avoid playing Dallas in the first round. I'll take the Mavs here and expect to see these two doing battle again this weekend.
Warriors @ Trail Blazers - Golden State played last night and sucks. Portland needs this game for seeding purposes and is at home - Blazers should win and clinch the 6.
Suns @ Jazz - So.....I'm not a big basketball fan. Is this game important?
Can you smell the playoffs?