Alright - here are the facts.
- The Suns win 88-71. Against the best team in the Eastern Conference. We all knew that would happen right?
- The aging Celtics did play a physical game against Portland last night...
- The championship contending Celtics are looking forward to a big and super-hyped game against the Lakers on Sunday...
- The Suns had an amazing bonding experience yesterday that involved a circle of love
- There is not one negative thing I have to say about any one single player that stepped on the floor for the Suns tonight. Everyone came to play - effort and heart included.
- Nash was Nash, Hill was Hill, Garnett
was A DIRTY SCUMBAGwas Garnett, and Marcin Gortat was a possessed beast (Career hight 19 points and 17 rebounds) that looked like he was the starting center for the Western Conference Allstar team.
I'm sick of talking about turning points, but I'm hopeful this win does something for the struggling Suns
- The Suns are still a sub-.500 team
- The Suns played actual Defense.
- Kendrick Perkins is back - and still mad at the world. Lighten up dude - you make millions of dollars and win championships - is life really that aggravating?
If you didn't get to see this game it was really an entertaining and physical game that sported two ejections (Coach Doc Rivers for arguing with an official and Garnett for stepping under Channing Frye and reaching out and intentionally popping Channing in the family jewels while he was in the air... watch it for yourself.
I didn't watch the ESPN feed - but judging from this commentary during the clip I'm glad I didn't. Garnett stepped under Frye for the second time on that shot and punched him in 'the gonads" (as Amare would say). That's a foul. That's a tech. That's an ejection for getting back in Channing's face with your raptor-looking mean mug. What's that Garnett? You've never actually been in a fight? You just yell, cheap shot, put your foot in your mouth (or under jump shooters with intent to injure), and menacing glare at any and everything that moves? Oh that's right - you're just a (*put your very descriptive adjective in the comment section folks!) JUMP IT!
Alright - I'm going to do something a little different here. I'm going to hand out a couple of awards for this game.
MVP - Most Valuable Player
Marcin Gortat - He set a career high 19 points and ripped 17 rebounds. Absolutely sick. He also (along with Robin Lopez who had a really great game as well) played BIG. When the best team in the East rolls in, and when that team has a seemingly bottomless pit of 600 pound 7 foot Centers to throw at you, Marcin and Robin stepped up to the challenge and dominated the game. He dunked, he blocked, he stayed tall, he was a peacemaker, he hit a buzzer-beating 3 pointer - no doubt you earned this highly coveted Eutychus MVP. Congrats bro, I'll tweet you later.
MVT - Most Valuable Tweeter
So instead of writing a sweet analysis of all the great things I saw tonight, I want to recognize all the tweets in twitterland that best described this game, made me laugh, made me #SMH ('shake my head' for you textilliterate) . But the one who caught my attention with the most amazing, worthwhile tweets throughout the entire duration of the game was hands down Paul Coro. Congrats homie. #YouDaBomb
Enjoy these - and put your Twitter name (if you're cool and you're on Twitter and you want me to follow) in the comment section below, you never know when I'll throw you some respect.
Oh wait - on that note I have one more award to hand out -
BOS - BASKETBALLS OF STEEL
Channing Frye wins the BASKETBALLS OF STEEL award. Because just like Paul Coro says, if Frye doesn't get up and take some pride in being punked by Kevin Garnett, the play doesn't get reviewed, the Suns don't get the 6 freethrows (techs and fouls during the scuffle that followed the Garnett thwappie) that followed and the Celtics possibly continue to chip away at a Suns lead. But instead the play was reviewed - Garnett was ejected, the Suns hit 4 of 6 from the line and went on to seal the deal and win the game. In an interview after the game Channing said (something to this effect), "I'm not going to comment on that, I'm just sorry I was cussing and stuff - that's not me". Now that's a classy guy, and guess what, is Channing Frye "soft" anymore?
Encouraging game - hope this can be influential and motivational for this group of talented guys. It was very entertaining. Look for some sweet Seth notes coming soon!
Visit the enemy:
Celtics vs Suns coverage
[Note by Seth Pollack, 01/29/11 12:14 AM MST ]
Video: Channing Frye And Kevin Garnett Mix It Up After Cheap Shot From KG - SB Nation Arizona
"I heard that Suns are soft and everything like that. That's not going to happen this year. We're not soft. I'm going to make sure when we come out on the floor, we come out hard," Pietrus said
Post game audio...
- Gentry postgame 012911
- Nash postgame 012911
- Frye postgame 012911
- Carter postgame 012911
- Gortat postgame 012911
- Pietrus postgame 012911
- There might be more Celtics fans in the building than Lakers fans when they come to town. Wow. I think it should help the overall crowd energy level and the Suns fans will be forced to make some noise to counter the green.
- If Lakers fans have a distinctive look when they come in this building, I have to say the Celtics fans do as well. A much different look mind you but they do all tend to look similar.
- Suns run the pick and roll with Robin and Nash right at Shaq. Shaq fouls Robin. Need to pound that over and over.
- Nice job Robin, go after the big guy. 2nd foul on Shaq, just 2 min in.
- Ray Allen is going to kill Vince Carter...if his shot is falling.
- Shame that Robin's free throws and mid-range aren't going. Hopefully he settles in.
- They are calling this game tight...can't decide who that helps. Ask me in about 2 hours.
- Carter gets to the line! He tried to spin away from contact but they called Perkins anyway. See above.
- Rondo pestering Nash, denying him the ball. That's a tough match up for Steve
- 2nd foul on Perk. So far....
- Frye fronting KG = KG lob dunk
- Robin looks really gassed. Hope he gets his rest but then comes back in. He's played well.
- Gortat scores over Davis. That's a good match up for him.
- I lol at Dudley sprinting the floor like Hill and Nash ignoring him b/c he knows that Dudley isn't Hill.
- Good aggressive move by Marcin on Erden and then he flops against Rondo on the other end.
- MP in for Vince. Dudley, MP, Nash Frye and Gortat
- Good aggressive, confident ball movement and shooting for Suns. Helps that the Celtics look tired.
- Gortat hits a completely uncontested fadeway...You might ask why fadeaway if you are not being defended. It's a good question.
- Dumb foul by Ray Allen on Gortat who was never going to be able to dunk that ball.
- Warrick, Gortat, Dragic, MP and Dudley. Where's the offense coming from?
- Up 27-14, it might not matter.
- Gortat beats the buzzer with a three! There's your answer. 30-16. That's pretty good.
- Warrick has been working on his jump shot...he needs to work more, but he did hit that one.
- Why have Shaq in the game and not post him up on Gortat?
- Well now...Gortat playing him with balls.
- Suns miss a couple of shots but the pace is good. Keep running ‘em.
- In this game, there's no such thing as a quick shot. Keep firing!
- Starters plus Gortat in...still shooting quickly. 40-25. Gortat's playing great, but still want to see Robin get a chance to finish the half.
- Doc Rivers tossed. Guess he wanted to get an early start on his nap. Javie don't play.
- Robin back in! Gets a pick and roll dunk too.
- 3rd foul on Rondo on that charge. Could have gone either way, but w/ the way the Celtics are chirping at the refs, they certainly aren't getting those 50/50 calls. Wordapp.
- Ray Allen missed both free throws but C's got the rebound.
- Offense got bogged down there a bit, but Nash hit a three off a Robin screen.
- Gortat in for Frye...twin towers, aka the Gorpez Show.
- 49-35. That's pretty good.
- That was some pretty execution from the Celtics. Hill had to foul Shaq to prevent the dunk. Shaq's free throw shots look worse than they did a few years ago.
- Not a great move there by Robin...gets his shot blocked by Shaq.
- Crowd gets amped as Nash iso's Shaq after a switch.
- 4th foul on Rondo. Not that he's having a good game or anything but still.
- 4th foul on Frye. Warrick in. 54-38, Suns.
- Allen hits a three...don't let THAT guy get hot.
- No way Warrick can defend KG in the post. Going to have to bring help on that.
- 10 point game now. 60-50. 12-6 run by Celtics sine Warrick came in for Frye.
- Nice three from Vince. Early in the clock. Good shot, Vince. See we can love too.
- There are very few players Dudley can actually stay in front of, Pierce isn't one of them.
- Perkins is spent. Understandable.
- Vince with the last 10 points for the Suns. This is what he needs to do. 70-54.
- Pierce trying to give the Celtics something. 14 points of something so far but MP is answering.
- Suns slowing the offense down now with a 75-58 lead in the fourth. Not taking those quick shots.
- Not scoring either, but neither are the Celtics.
- Wow, Grant. Still staggered from a blow to the head, he gets up and blocks Von Wafer in full flight.
- Fist pump cam? Really? How about we just do the Michele Bachmann Don't Look At The Cam Cam
- MP and KG jawing a bit at Pietrus blew him up with a forearm to the face on a screen. Flagrant One for MP. Seems like a fair call to me.
- 78-62, Suns. 7:09
- Uh oh. That fired up the Celtics. Allen hits a three and Gentry calls a time out.
- 11 point game.
- Yup...this one getting a bit scary. 78-69
- Ok, so KG pops Frye in the man parts on that jump shot. Frye jumps up and steps into KG for words. Perkins comes in and shoves Gortat of course.
- KG called for the foul and then tossed. Perkins and Nate Rob T'd up also. 6 free throws coming for the Suns. That should do it.
- That did it.