Another day, another first round candidate for the Phoenix Suns. Last Friday, it was Jerian Grant. Today, Devin Booker from Kentucky came calling.
Booker is a 6'6" shooting guard, with emphasis on the shooting part, who won't turn 19 until the first game of the 2015-16 season. He played his freshman season at Kentucky, spending most of his time in a shooter role with a half-dozen other pro prospects in a vaunted Kentucky lineup.
I asked GM Ryan McDonough if drafting another kid so young as Booker is kinda like trading out of the draft for a future pick. He didn't bit, but said that the Suns would draft the best talent regardless of age. Still, I think my point is valid.
In terms of his game, Booker looks at the Splash Brothers in Golden State as a model, and he also would love to comprise a full Kentucky back court for years to come with Eric Bledsoe, Brandon Knight, Archie Goodwin and himself.
If the Suns draft him, I hope he's good enough to play a lot of minutes. Booker would immediately become the best interview on the team. Check it out:
Here's a grainier-than-it-should-be vid on Booker in a shooting drill at the end of practice. By this time, guys are usually feeling pretty tired and miss a lot of their shots as a result.
GM Ryan McDonough talked for while on a wide range of subjects, including Booker.
All the prospects today
- Josh Richardson, 6'6", 200 lbs., 21 yrs old, SG, ranked #66 overall on DX Top 100, has steadily improved his 3P percentage over 4 years of school, career high 3.6 assists per game last year, young for a senior
- Dez Wells, 6'4", 209 lbs., SG, 23 yrs old, ranked #84 overall on DX Top 100, made 51% of 1.8 3s per game, averaged 5 rebounds, 3 assists last year; strong and long (6'9" wingspan), built like football player
- Devin Booker, 6'5", 205 lbs, SG, 18 yrs old, ranked #13 overall on DX Top 100, made 41% of threes as an 18 year old on big stage
- Derek Cooke Jr, 6'9", 220 lbs, 23 yrs old, no profile on DX
- Vince Hunter, 6'7", 208 lbs, 20 yrs old, ranked #63 on DX Top 100, big time athlete, sophomore
- Jarvis Summers, 6'4", 208 lbs, 23 yrs old, not in DX Top 100