The Suns go into this off-season with several glaring needs, to be expected of a team which missed the playoffs for the fifth consecutive year in winning only 39 games. Foremost is a star player at any position, but that star isn't likely available at #13. Next on the pecking order of needs are:
- Help in the frontcourt, specifically at PF to fill the remaining hole left by Channing Frye's departure last summer, and
- PG, since the departures of Goran Dragic, Isaiah Thomas and Tyler Ennis at the trade deadline.
Jerian Grant is my choice should the Suns draft a PG. At PF, I prefer a player with a similar profile of tremendous achievement at the college level, basketball smarts, and the maturity to contribute right away: Wisconsin PF/C Frank Kaminsky.
Measurables (all courtesy Draft Express)
- Height (with shoes): 7'1"
- Weight: 231 lbs
- Wingspan: 6'11"
- Age: 22, played four years college basketball
- Last season's basic stats: 18.8 PPG, 8.2 RPG, 2.6 APG, 1.5 BPG on 55% overall shooting and 41% from 3
- Consensus First Team All-American as senior
- Multiple Player of the Year honors including AP, Sporting News, Naismith Award and Wooden Award
- Led Wisconsin to NCAA Tournament Championship game, losing to Duke.