Young Phoenix Suns guard Devin Booker had a great 19th year on planet earth. Along the way, he put himself into a small tier of NBA players who were successful as a teenager in this league.
Booker went from out of the rotation as a lanky spot-up shooter to the lead dog on the Suns opening night lineup this year.
The great Coach Nick, of BBallBreakdown, put this video together on Booker last week to argue why Booker will be an All-Star some day soon.
If you don’t follow bballbreakdown, you should. Nick knows what he’s talking about.
Booker finished his 19th year on the planet with the following resume:
**all stats courtesy of basketball-reference.com
- Had 17 games scoring 20+ points, tying former #1 overall pick Andrew Wiggins. Only six other teens have ever scored 20+ points more than 16 times. Only Kyrie Irving, Kobe Bryant, Kevin Durant, LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony have ever had more 20+ point games before turning 20. http://bkref.com/tiny/tLxlW
- Had six 30+ pt games. Only four teens have EVER had more than 2. http://bkref.com/tiny/fUKAa
- Had two 30/5 games. Only 5 teens have EVER had any at all, and only LBJ has had more than 2 (he has 13). http://bkref.com/tiny/BMvr1
- Had three 30/4 games. Only 7 have ever had any at all, only LBJ (18) and Carmelo Anthony (4) had more than Booker’s 3. http://bkref.com/tiny/EPex6
- Had four 27/5 games. Only LBJ has more. Only 9 in history have had any at all http://bkref.com/tiny/Wi8k9
- Had one 15/10/7 game, against Golden State last year. Only LBJ has more than one of one game with 15+/10+/7+ as a teen (3).
- Had a third-place finish in the annual Three-Point Shootout on All-Star Weekend, coming up just short against Klay Thompson and Stephen Curry.
Now, it’s all downhill.
No one cares about 20-somethings.
Booker is just another guy now.
So wish him well in his future on his way down the back side of the hill.