*photoshop of Bender in Suns uni (can you guess which Suns player he used?) courtesy of Suns fan and Bright Side reader Jeremiah Scott
After a brief hiatus from the stream of group workouts the Suns hosted over a three week span, the Phoenix Suns figure to host a final, small handful of players over the weekend before the 2016 NBA Draft takes place next Thursday.
The Suns, holding four of the top 34 picks, have seen nearly every prospect in their range, save for a small handful of late visitors and outright refusals.
Over the next few days, it's been reported that the Suns will host Timothe Luwawu, a 3-and-D candidate for the 13th pick, and Dragan Bender and Jamal Murray, both candidates for the 4th pick.
Before this weekend, the highest rated prospect to visit the team with the 4th overall pick has been Jaylen Brown.
Players who have visited the Suns in Phoenix
- Dragan Bender (ranked 3rd overall, on the DraftExpress Top 100) *reported to be visiting Saturday
- Jaylen Brown (5)
- Jamal Murray (6) *reported to be visiting today or this weekend
- Jakob Poeltl (8)
- Skal Labissiere (9)
- Henry Ellenson (13)
- Timothe Luwawu (14) *reported to be visiting today or this weekend
- Wade Baldwin (15)
- Demetrius Jackson (16)
- Domantas Sabonis (17) **only worked out for four teams, including Suns
- Taurean Prince (18)
- Tyler Ulis (19)
- Damian Jones (22)
- Cheick Diallo (25)
- Juan "Juancho" Hernangomez (26)
- Petr Cornelie (27)
- Zhou Qi (28) **only worked out for four teams, including Suns
- DeAndre Bembry (29)
- Brice Johnson (30)
- Dejounte Murray (32)
- Diamond Stone (33)
- Malachi Richardson (37)
- Thon Maker (40)
- Malcolm Brogdon (41)
I'll stop at 41. The Suns hosted several dozen prospects in the past month, many of whom project lower than their last pick at 34. But if the Suns trade down from there, they've seen most every second round player they wanted to see.
Players who have visited a few teams, but NOT the Suns
- Deyonta Davis (10) has visited only Denver with 7, 15, 19; Utah with 12, according to a quick twitter search
- Denzel Valentine (12) scheduled visits only with the Milwaukee Bucks at 10, Orlando Magic at 11, Utah at 12, and the Chicago Bulls at 14.
- Patrick McCaw (31) visited several teams via a quick twitter search, including Detroit, Denver, Pacers and Memphis
- Stephen Zimmerman (35) visited Philadelphia, Chicago, Boston and Denver, among others
Interesting these players are seeing teams around the Suns, but not the Suns.
It's possible they will visit in the coming days, I suppose. It's also possible they had private workouts to hide the Suns interest in them, given there's been so muck trade talk around the first round.
Players who have not visited any teams at all
- Brandon Ingram (1)
- Ben Simmons (2)
- Kris Dunn (4)
- Buddy Hield (7) -- hosted teams in California via CAA
- Marquese Chriss (11) -- hosted teams in Californis via CAA
- Malik Beasley (24) -- injury
- Lots of other international players, due to availability/travel issues
The Suns could draft any of these players if they are on the board at 4 or 13. I have no qualms about the Suns drafting a guy who refused to come for a visit.
For most of these guys, minus Simmons, the Suns had an opportunity to interview them one-on-one at the Draft Combine. Interviews are important so that, you know, you can avoid guys who sweat through their suit jacket.
All I wanted to do with this article is to summarize who's visited the Suns in Phoenix, in case you put any stock into those guy who have avoided the Suns like Valentine and Davis.