Suns fans, you’ve got a budding superstar on your hands!
Every day, every week, it Devin Booker is further cementing his place in the NBA as one of the future superstars of the league.
And he’s still just 20 years old!
Former coach John Calipari knows what’s what.
His former 6th man didn’t even start a game at Kentucky and while he averaged 10 points off the bench he never topped 20 in any game.
Now, Booker is setting scoring records left and right for guys his age.
4th Most Total Points before age 20
.@DevinBook Only LeBron James (4,649), Kevin Durant (3,495), Carmelo Anthony (3,283) and Kobe Bryant (2,755) have scored more before turning 21— Phoenix Suns Stats (@SunsBballComm) March 31, 2017
5th Most PPG in Age 20 season
But the biggest of all is...
Youngest with 70-point game
Booker joins only FIVE OTHER NBA PLAYERS EVER with 70+ points in an NBA game.
- Devin Booker, in 2017
- Kobe Bryant, in 2006
- David Robinson in 1994 scored 71 on the final day of the regular season for the 55-27 Spurs against a hapless Clippers team just pining for summer break. No other Spur made more than 4 shots all night while Robinson scored 71 in a meaningless game so that he could secure his scoring title
- David Thompson, in 1978, scored 73 to secure a scoring title of his own, also on the last day of the regular season. His playoff-bound Nuggets (48-34) actually lost the game to a 38-44 Pistons team playing their last game of the year (no playoffs for them)
- Wilt Chamberlain scored 70+ on 6 occasions from 1961-63, including his famous 100 point game. He was 3-3 in those games.
- Elgin Baylor, in 1961, scored 71 in a win over the Knicks
Devin Booker’s place in history is set.
Other notable things about
- Booker has the highest career-high of any active player
- Booker now has three (3) of the five (5) total 27+ point scoring quarters this season
- He also has three buzzer beaters this season alone, more than any other NBA player
He’s not just a flash in the pan either. As a rookie, Booker was the youngest ever to be named to the Three Point Contest on All-Star Weekend. His scoring as a rookie and sophomore are some of the best in NBA history, putting him among future Hall of Famers LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony and Kevin Durant in the over-achieving under-20 age group.
He’s on pace to be one of only six (6) NBA players ever to average 21+ points per game in a season before they turned 20 years old (LBJ, Durant, Melo, Shaquille O’Neal and Kyrie Irving).
Booker obliterated the Suns scoring record books: most points in a game (70), most in a half (51), most free throws (26), most free throws made (24).
Ok enough talking about this.
Buy a T-Shirt to remember this by!
This is an exclusive Bright Side offer, designed and delivered by BreakingT. These are really awesome shirts! Softest I’ve ever worn. I’ve got three of them now, about to have my 4th. My daughters love them, friends love them.
Buy it now
sha·zam /SHəˈzam/ exclamation - used to introduce an extraordinary deed. Yep, sounds about right to us! Orange and purple print on an ultra-soft, vintage heather gray tee. Athletic fit; made from a super-comfortable, vintage-inspired blend of 60% combed ringspun cotton and 40% polyester jersey. Screen printed in the good 'ol USA.
Note: I know we had another shirt up here last week. That one is discontinued due to little arguments over who came up with the ‘His70ry’ first, so I dropped out and went in another direction. And I like this one better anyway!
How he got there...
Here's Coach Nick talking about how Booker got his points, replete with highlights of other 70-point scorers.