Phoenix Suns guard Devin Booker is one of the top 35 home grown basketball players in our great nation, USA Basketball announced on Friday.
Booker is the youngest buck in the pool of potential Team USA players. The 35 will be whittled down to 12 by the time the Olympics rolls around, but even being in the 35 is a huge boost for Booker and the Phoenix Suns, who have not had a player on this roster since the days of Shawn Marion and Amare Stoudemire.
Introducing the 2018-20 USA Basketball Men's National Team pool:— USA Basketball (@usabasketball) April 6, 2018
1⃣7⃣ Olympic gold medalists
3⃣0⃣ returning members of the USA Men's National Team pool
3⃣5⃣ athletes in all
» https://t.co/ElOmTQbGyF pic.twitter.com/3gekcb6f5a
Booker is one of five new players added to the USA Basketball pool. He joins C.J. McCollum (Portland Trail Blazers), Khris Middleton (Milwaukee Bucks), Isaiah Thomas (Los Angeles Lakers), and Myles Turner (Indiana Pacers).
Here’s the rest of the list:
- Harrison Barnes (Dallas Mavericks)
- Bradley Beal (Washington Wizards)
- Jimmy Butler (Minnesota Timberwolves)
- Mike Conley Jr. (Memphis Grizzlies)
- DeMarcus Cousins (New Orleans Pelicans)
- Stephen Curry (Golden State Warriors)
- Anthony Davis (New Orleans Pelicans)
- DeMar DeRozan (Toronto Raptors)
- Andre Drummond (Detroit Pistons)
- Kevin Durant (Golden State Warriors)
- Paul George (Oklahoma City Thunder)
- Eric Gordon (Houston Rockets)
- Draymond Green (Golden State Warriors)
- Blake Griffin (Detroit Pistons)
- James Harden (Houston Rockets)
- Tobias Harris (Los Angeles Clippers)
- Gordon Hayward (Boston Celtics)
- Kyrie Irving (Boston Celtics)
- LeBron James (Cleveland Cavaliers)
- DeAndre Jordan (Los Angeles Clippers)
- Kawhi Leonard (San Antonio Spurs)
- Damian Lillard (Portland Trail Blazers)
- Kevin Love (Cleveland Cavaliers)
- Kyle Lowry (Toronto Raptors)
- Victor Oladipo (Indiana Pacers)
- Chris Paul (Houston Rockets)
- Klay Thompson (Golden State Warriors)
- Kemba Walker (Charlotte Hornets)
- John Wall (Washington Wizards)
- Russell Westbrook (Oklahoma City Thunder)
USA Men’s National Team managing director Jerry Colangelo on what’s next:
“While we do not have an official competition that we need to prepare for in 2018, the selection and announcement of our new pool of national team members and this year’s July minicamp are important first steps in our preparations to defend the FIBA World Cup and Olympic titles we won during the last two quadrenniums,” said Colangelo. “This year’s minicamp is an opportunity for us to continue and expand the culture, brotherhood and camaraderie that has been built.
That July minicamp will be held in spectacular Las Vegas, Nevada at UNLV’s Mendenhall Center. Daily practices will be held from 7/25-27.
Gregg Popovich of the San Antonio Spurs is still the coach of the National Team. Twelve of the guys above will compete in the 2019 USA World Cup and the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo, Japan.
Booker was a member of the USA Basketball Select Team in 2016. That team trained against the USA National Team.
Will he be one of the 12 competing internationally in 2019?