Three weeks from now the Phoenix Suns front office, led by rookie GM James Jones, will have answered our questions on who they want playing alongside budding star Devin Booker for the next two years.
The Suns will have SOMEONE starting next to Booker in the backcourt. Whether that person is a primary playmaker or another shooting guard who pushes Booker into the primary playmaker position is still unknown.
The depth chart will look very different in mid-July than it does today, but here’s a reminder of who’s under contract for 2019-20 right now:
- Playmaker (1 starter): Tyler Johnson (expiring, not a point guard), De’Anthony Melton, Elie Okobo
- Wings (2 starters): Devin Booker, T.J. Warren, Mikal Bridges, Josh Jackson
- Bigs (2 starters): Deandre Ayton
Kelly Oubre Jr. (R), Richaun Holmes, Troy Daniels, Dragan Bender and Jamal Crawford are all free agents, either restricted or unrestricted.
The 2019-20 under-contract team is currently deep in “maybe starters” at the wing, “where’d all the bigs go?” at the big positions and “um can we move on” at the playmaking position.
So, let’s make a prediction today.
As vehicles to improve the roster, the Suns have:
- the No. 6 pick in the upcoming draft
- a couple of extra wings to use in trades
- and a measly $12 million or so available in free agency that could grow as big as $35 million if they release/stretch Tyler Johnson and renounce Kelly Oubre’s cap hold
There are a LOT of roster holes to fill, but today we are focusing on the one hole: a starting-caliber player next to Devin Booker.
This guy will be starting in the back court next to Devin Booker next season...
This poll is closed
Run it back: Elie Okobo / De’Anthony Melton
Some other team’s playmaker (Lonzo, Rozier, Collison, etc.)
Rookie playmaker/wing (Coby White / Darius Garland / etc)
Some other team’s wing (Booker at full time playmaker)